- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 283
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Fat Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 5.2g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 264mg
Kale & Parmesan Pasta
Prep Tip: Red pepper flakes get hotter when you cook them. If you don't like spicy food, leave the red pepper out or add it at the end.
Change it Up: Use arugula or Swiss chard in this recipe instead of kale.
Nutrition Tip: Kale is a power house vegetable. It is loading with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and is also low in calories.
- kale - 2 large bunches
- box of whole wheat pasta - 1/2 pound (8 oz)
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons, or you can use cooking oil
- butter - 2 tablespoons
- garlic - 6 cloves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt - to taste
- Parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup grated
- red pepper flakes - a pinch, optional
- pepper - to taste
- Tear the kale leaves from the stems and rinse well with cool water. Drain. Cut the kale leaves into thin strips. Discard the stems.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta to the boiling water, and cook according to the package directions. Drain the pasta in a colander saving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the olive oil, butter, garlic or garlic powder and red pepper flakes to a large skillet. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Add the kale and continue to saute until the kale has wilted and has turned a deep green color (about 5-7 minutes). Turn the heat off.
- Add the drained pasta and 2-4 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid to the pot with the cooked kale. Toss the pasta and kale together.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and toss to coat.