- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 288
- Carbohydrate Content: 39g
- Fat Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 4.1g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 386mg
Prep Tip: Microwaving the squash for a minute can help soften it for easier cutting.
Change it Up: Any type of squash can be used for this recipe. Try two acorn squash instead.
Nutrition Tip: Squash and other orange fruits and vegetables are high in beta-carotene, an antioxidant important for healthy skin and eyes.
- butternut squash - 1
- cheddar cheese - 6 ounces (shredded, can also use Colby, or Monterey Jack cheese)
- onion - 1/4 cup (chopped, and sauteed)
- whole wheat tortillas - 8
- chunky salsa - to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Rinse the outside of the squash.
- Cut squash in half with a large knife.
- Scrape seeds out with a spoon and rinse them with water. Dry and save seeds to roast later if desired.
- Cut each half in half.
- Place squash halves cut-side down in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave squash on high for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Mash squash and add onions.
- Place 1/4 cup of mixture on each tortilla.
- Roll and place tortillas into pan.
- Cover with salsa and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 8 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 2 more minutes.