- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 227
- Carbohydrate Content: 43g
- Fat Content: 1.6g
- Fiber Content: 5.1g
- Protein Content: 9.1g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 364mg
Peas & Rice
Prep Tip: 1 cup of chopped onion is about 2 small or medium onions, chopped.
Change it Up: Make this recipe using whole grain couscous instead of rice. Couscous is very tiny pasta that cooks quickly. Don't have sage? Leave it out or add another dried or fresh herb you like such as basil or parsley.
Nutrition Tip: Canned vegetable broth is usually high in sodium. Look for low-sodium or reduced sodium varieties.
- onion - 1 cup, finely chopped
- ground sage - 1/2 teaspoon
- olive oil - 1 teaspoon, you can use cooking oil instead
- reduced-sodium chicken broth - 1 and 1/3 cups (or vegetable broth)
- green peas - 1 cup, frozen
- brown rice - 1 cup, uncooked, you can use white rice instead
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Parmesan cheese - 2 tablespoons, grated, optional
- Heat the oil and onions in a heavy skillet.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the sage, broth or water, rice, salt, and pepper if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes. Add the peas and cook another 5 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork.
- Optional: Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.