- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 41
- Carbohydrate Content: 8.5g
- Fat Content: 0.3g
- Fiber Content: 1.4g
- Protein Content: 1.9g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 228mg
Tomato & Cabbage Soup
Prep Tip: Freeze extra tomato paste in ice cube trays. Once frozen pop them out and put them in a plastic bag. Use one at a time in soups and stews for extra flavor.
Change it Up: In Step 2, add 1/2 cup diced carrots and celery for added color and flavor.
Nutrition Tip: Use low or reduced-sodium bouillon or broth cubes.
- water - 4 cups
- tomatoes - 1 (15 oz) can, diced, with seasoning of any flavor
- tomato paste - 3 tablespoons
- onion - 1 cup, chopped
- garlic - 2 cloves minced, or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- cabbage - 2 cups, shredded
- low sodium chicken stock or bouillon - 4 cubes
- pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Add four cups of water to a large pot and bring the water to a boil.
- To the pot, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped onion, garlic or garlic powder, and shredded cabbage.
- Add stock cubes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a low boil and cook for 20-30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.